rosybug wanted to know how to load icons, and since I was in that same place myself just a few weeks ago (before crazybutsound explained things to me), I thought I'd give a primer here. Celia, if you're around, this is FYI as well. Everyone else should feel free to skip this post.
First, find an icon you like. You can create your own (if you have the talent and the tools), or you can find them on offer in other people's ljs or in icon communities. Or sometimes friends will create them for you. :-)
So, once you've found the icon you want, this is how to load it:
- Right click on the icon.
- Click "Properties".
- Highlight the Address (URL) and right click.
- Click "Copy".
- Close "Properties".
- Go to Manage User Pictures in your lj.
- At the bottom of the page you'll find the "Upload a New Picture" form. Click the radio button "From URL", right click in the box, and select "Paste".
- Add keywords and comments to identify the icon.
- If you don't want this to be your default icon, uncheck the check box.
- Click "Proceed" to finish loading the icon.
- Repeat the process to add additional icons.
There you have it. Easy as pie. Have fun!