Looks like everyone else did this last week; I'm late, but I still want to play. All of my selections are fiction. Happy guessing (and if you get desperate, I know Google will give you the answer to one of these...)
1. Choose five of your all time favorite books.
2. Take the first sentence of the first chapter and make a list in your journal.
3. Don't reveal the author or the title of the book.
4. Now everyone try and guess.
(1) Rooter was at once the most difficult and the most helpful of the pequeninos.Orson Scott Card, Speaker for the Dead, guessed by magickslash
(2) After dinner I sat and waited for Pyle in my room over the rue Catinat; he had said, 'I'll be with you at the latest by ten,' and when midnight struck I couldn't stay quiet any longer and went down into the street.
(3) Under certain circumstances there are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea.Henry James, The Portrait of a Lady, guessed by callmeri
(4) Afterwards, in the dusty little corners where London's secret servants drink together, there was argument about where the Dolphin case history should really begin.
(5) The snow in the mountains was melting and Bunny had been dead for several weeks before we came to understand the gravity of our situationDonna Tartt, The Secret History, guessed by crazybutsound