Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

Still here

The first two months of the year are always crazy for me at work; this year the madness just decided to keep on going. After my March 1st government reporting deadline, there was the normal April 1st Public File updates for all our banking offices, but instead of that being it, we had a lovely list of deliverables that our banking regulator wanted (also due April 1st). Between mid-February and early April, I was in the office almost every day, including weekends. Everything got out, though, and the regulators were happy, but did life go back to normal then? You already know the answer, don't you? Of course it didn't. Because then along came our internal auditors planning to spend about three weeks auditing our department and its procedures. That just started Tuesday, and this week has mostly been talking to them about what I do and how I do it. *sigh*

On the bright side, though, I now have several lovely comp days to make up for the January and February holidays worked, and all those 15-hour Saturday and Sunday workdays. I took off a couple of days earlier this month and went up to San Francisco for the ballet, and I'm off to Houston tomorrow morning on an award ticket to see "Tristan und Isolde" and (if the weather forecast is accurate) to see some thunderstorms. (Aside to the weather gods: Just not while my plan is landing tomorrow or taking off on Monday, okay?)

I've tried to dip into LJ just to keep up on my flist. I know I've missed birthdays (Happy Belated, Rebecca), and I haven't thanked the people who remembered mine (consider kisses blown). Spring came when my back was turned. Other than that, there's been my one hour of television ("The Following" on Monday nights), and trying to catch up on my sleep. Not as much excitement as I know some of you have been experiencing (good things: three friends moving house, a job, a graduate school acceptance letter, France saying "Oui" to same-sex marriage, and one horrible thing: the Boston Marathon madness).

But, one day at a time, life is starting to get back to normal, and I hope that means I won't be such a stranger here going forward.


May. 4th, 2013 05:57 pm (UTC)
How was the Houston trip? I missed your birthday, I'm sorry. I've no excuse other than typical overwhelmed by trivial things I really shouldn't be considering.
May. 8th, 2013 06:45 pm (UTC)
Hi! You actually check LJ (which is more than I can say about my relationship with Facebook, lol).

The Houston trip was nice, except for the fact that the one night I HAD to be out (for the opera) was Saturday, and of course that's the afternoon/evening/night of the deluge. My hotel was just seven short blocks from the Wortham Center, easily walkable in nice weather. Because of the rain, though, I took the complimentary hotel shuttle up to the WC, but was on my own getting back, as the opera didn't end until 11:00 and the last shuttle was at 10:00. I had a number for a taxi, but it seemed like everyone was huddled under cover dialing for cabs and just getting put on hold. So I ended up walking back, huddled under as much of my umbrella as I could (the wind was blowing very hard, so you couldn't fully open an umbrella or it would be immediately blown inside out). I was practically dripping by the time I got back to the hotel, but everything dried out overnight, and the weather on Sunday was lovely.